GIVE A LISTEN, CLICK PLAY NOW!
THIS WEEKS EPISODE: “The answer to the WSL assumed fiscal woes is in a model that capitalizes on fantasy sports in the way the NBA is doing with FanDuel and NHL & MLB with DraftKings. Cash for Cash business with viewership skyrocketing because of it. In other words, JOE CONSUMER is way more interested in the WSL now that he can win money based on the next heat, the next round, the next day. Therefore JOE CONSUMER is inclined to watch way more heats, engage WSL websites and on way more platforms. WSL wins. Samsung Wins. Joe Consumer Wins.”
FEBRUARY 18, 2015– THIS WEEK WE TALK: KELLY SLATER, FAN DUEL, DRAFT KINGS, FANTASY SURFER, NBA, NHL, MLB, TRACKS MAG, WSL, SURFER MAGAZINE, SKIP FRYE, TAHITI, VOLCOM, TORREY MEISTER, WQS, BETHANY HAMILTON, DANE REYNOLDS, PREGNANCY, CHAS SMITH, BEACH GRIT, THE INERTIA, PODCASTING, MARK PRICE, LIBTECH, RYAN CARLSON, COMPOSITE CONSTRUCTION, TYPHOON LAGOON, FLORIDA, DISNEYWORLD, KEVIN ANCELL, ORCAS, USA, GABRIEL MEDINA, CJ HOBGOOD, MATT BANTING, DUSTY PAYNE, KIRRA, RVCA, WAYNE RICH, MARC ANDREINI, ROGER HINDS, NOSE ROCKER AND OH SO MUCH MORE… GIVE A LISTEN!
TEN / SURFER MAGAZINE FAIL: THEY HAVEN’T CHANGED OR UPGRADED FANTASYSURFER.COM AND IT WILL COST THEM DEARLY.
* Sites like FanDuel.com, Draft Kings, and FantasyScore have changed the face of fantasy sports.
* The most popular fantasy sports site pay out money. Big money. FanDuel.com pays out over $10 million a week to everyday Joes like you and me; they take a cut; and rake in the dough.
* Though American pro sports leagues historically have opposed the spread of sports betting, they all have embraced daily fantasy games in the last two years, largely because it leads to more television viewership and revenue. If fans have money at stake in daily fantasy sports, they are more likely to watch more games than they otherwise would.
* In November, the NBA even announced it had become an equity investor in FanDuel, making itself part owner of a company that says it pays out more than $10 million in prize money every week.
* Fans consume 40% more sports content — across all media — once they start playing FanDuel. This is the stat that helped FanDuel get the deal with the NBA. “increased consumption of our digital content and overall interest in our sport,.
“Last year, 41.5 million players here and in the United States participated, according to the Chicago-based Fantasy Sports Trade Association. Those stateside spent some $3.6-billion (U.S.) on fees, games and information.”
MUST SEE MOMENTS
DOWN THE LINE SURF TALK PODCAST — FEBRUARY 18, 2015 SHOW NOTES, VIDEOS, IMAGES FROM THE SHOW – NOT AN ARTICLE, NOT A BLOG… PODCAST SHOW NOTES — THAT IS ALL.
surfing, surf news, surfer information, surfing industry tripe et al.
brought to you by:
a consumer trade show presenting the core of surf
MAY 16 & 17, 2015
* A day after that announcement, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver declared in the New York Times that sports betting should be legalized and regulated.
* Why not the WSL? Could this help solve the assumed fiscal problems with the WSL?
* The answer to the WSL fiscal woes is in a model that capitalizes on fantasy sports in the way the NBA is doing with FanDuel and NHL MLB with DraftKings. Cash for Cash business with viewership skyrocketing because of it. In other words, “I’m way more interested now that I can win money based on the next heat, therefore I’m inclined to watch way more and on way more platforms.” WSL wins. Samsung Wins. Scott Wins.
* Well, (Scott probably loses, but he has a chance to to win, based on his expertise following the sport for 30 years).
* But you get the point.
* Paid fantasy sports games are legal, provided they meet certain conditions, including having winning outcomes that reflect the skill of participants, as opposed to mere chance.
* With WSL Fantasy Surfer game – we should be able to win money each round; Each heat. Even.
* Maybe it’s based on stats. However it is figured out, there is too much money on the table not to figure it out. Now you’ve engaged fans with monetary value; watch the level of viewership go through the roof, watch sponsorship revenue increase dramatically.
* I’m surprised the power brokers at the WSL haven’t engaged this opportunity.
* I am NOT surprised that SOURCE Interlink / SURFER Magazine and Fantasy Surfer haven’t seen the light. IN corporate America you get paid the same whether you innovate or not. No incentive to lead. Heck, they said NO to surf talk radio, I did it anyway.
* Have a league limit it to 8 friends and a draft day just like other fantasy sports…or … the possibilities are varied and exciting.