Archive for November, 2011
November 20, 2011 – surfing, surfing news, surfing industry, surf – Live every sunday on XTRASPORTS 1360AM IN SAN DIEGO ; internet Xtrasports1360.com ; or iTunes podcast download keyword search “down the line surf”
GMAC’s World Record Proclamation w/ XXL Director Bill Sharp
GMAC’S wave could be 90 feet. It could be 100 feet. I hope it measures 99 feet. I don’t care. I’m not questioning the size. What I’m questioning is the process.
Which organization or authority validates such a claim? Is it the Guinness people? Or XXL? YouTube? Is it George Downing or George Will? Perhaps Jane Kachmer?
This week we talk with Bill Sharp, Director of Billabong’s XXL Global Big Waves Awards Director. There’s been much internet chatter about Garrett McNamara’s huge wave and self-proclaimed world record.
Here are some other “Worlds Biggest Wave” – there’s more than one! Who knew?
Top 5 Stories:
1) Aussie News article: http://www.swellnet.com.au/news/2651-kelly-slater-almost-sunk-in-wave-pool-wrangle
2) Please support your favorite flag: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/patriotism-flagging-at-surf-contests/story-e6frg7mf-1226197716298
3) Hawaiian Happenings: Rumor floating on Twitter from Shea Lopez that ASP will do away with the mid-year reshuffle of pro surfers; Flat on the North Shore so far…REEF HAWAIIAN PRO AT Haleiwa – no waves showing up at Haleiwa. They need west swell. Minor norths rolling in.
4) ASP drops Rip Curl Pro Search from 2012 ASP World Tour schedule
We are raising money to pay for Tom Eberly’s wife’s cancer operation.
Erma Eberly Dangla is the mother of three daughters, Rebeca (23), Erin (17) and Tara (15), and is the force behind Tom Eberly’s Nicasurf International Surf Tours. La jefa. We are raising money to pay for Erma’s cancer operation to save her. Please Help us by donating anything you can spare through our paypal account – firstname.lastname@example.org – all will help and will go straight to the cause. She needs to have an operation now and we are a little bit short, so please help!
I never mention charities on the air unless I have given and I have given generously. I want you too as well, but only within your means.
Help Matt Warshaw get the Encyclopedia of Surfing on line by donating to the KickStarter Cause. Link below:
Nov 3. 2011 – surf news, surf industry insight, surf talk radio
Kelly Slater: Oh sure, he looks happy, but… he's never been to WalMart!
Ok, Kelly Slater has clinched his unprecedented and inspiring 11th World Title. Plenty of people, surf blogs, and PR folks (err… surf mag editors) will discuss this. I’ll leave thatto them. Bottom line: The guy is a class act and makes us all look good.
While he’s spent the better part of his life becoming the surfer and man that he is, people don’t realize he’s missed out on a lot of fun and excitement over the past 20 years.!!
In the spirit and fun of David Letterman’s Top 10 list, here are the Top 11 life pleasures that Kelly Slater has never experienced, at least not in the last 20 years (we think…)!
Kelly Slater, he’s never:
11) Participated in a job interview.
10) He’s never mowed a lawn.
9) Never said “hello” to the WalMart greeter.
Never looked for used furniture on Craigslist.
7) Never had to change his HR health benefits during ‘open enrollment’.
6) Never had to explain WHY it is crucially important that he go surfing.
5) Never been on a dump run.
4) Never made mindless small talk at back-to-school night.
3) Never cleared out the rain gutters.
2) Never purchased a bar of surf wax.
1) Never scrounged for golf balls in the bushes.
You see, while it may seem like Kelly Slater has had the good life, he’s really missed out on a lot of cool stuff. Consider yourselves lucky.