JULY 13, 2011 Surf Industry News — Hearing lots of chatter…
Dane Reynolds. He admits it, he’s Lost Interest.
1) Kelly Slater setting up a Jeter-esque type 2nd half performance; missing JBAY a no-brainer due to huge Cloudbreak but… ALSO gives the guys on tour (Adriano de Souza, Mick Fanning, Taj Burrow, Parko) a false sense of security before KS10 pulls a Slater sweep at Quiksilver Pro NYCity and Hurley LOWERS PRO. KS probably wants to own Manhattan for the week, he’s surfing’s celebrity– after all. All this sets up a climactic showdown at PIPELINE.
2) What does four years of hideous economy mean. Downsizing and a serious look at ROI. WPS surfers as well have been chiming in that they’d like to go to G-Land for an event. Sorry guys, no ROI. Be happy with North American beachbreaks. The Dream Tour is now the Lean Tour. Most of us don’t have any emotional connection to any of you. The world Tour could be trimmed to 16 and fans would be happy.
3) An industry insider is telling me to look for changes in management at Billabong USA.
4) This may be old news to some… hearing that SWATCH was ready to blanket sponsor the ASP tour but they were shut out but the Surf Industry old boy giants on the ASP board. Too much ‘timeshare’ to lose. They have watches too.
5) Dane Reynolds sells more board shorts in North America than numbers 1- 10. Except perhaps Kelly Slater. And Dane has LOST INTEREST. Over-it-itis has become marketable.
6) PUMA, Converse, Nike, – Specialty retail is screwed. My kid saw Kolohe Andino, and suggested we buy some NIKEs. We went to Sports Authority so my kid could look like Kolohe. John John Florence is a way more interesting surfer.
7) Most surfers are embarrassed or simply don’t care to wear “surf clothes.” The individuality is gone. BTW: Saw Rip Curl POP segment at Sports Authority too. Specialty retail is screwed.
X ASP X cloudbreak X dane reynolds X jbay X Kelly slater X quiksilver pro X surf industry surfing industry news tavarua